Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Mourning My Sleep


Today I mourn my beloved sleep. I love to sleep - I mean that in a BIG way. Every night before going to bed I use to snuggle in, sigh a big sigh and comment to husband about how much I really loved to sleep. I sleep no more...

My friends were envious that my child NEVER woke up in the middle of the night, was asleep by 7:00 or 7:30 at the latest and always took a two hour nap in the afternoon. Life has changed. Since the birth of our second daughter I have not slept a full night. She is 7 months old. Not only is my second child a terrible sleeper - she just started sleeping through the night (and I use that term very loosely) - my perfect sleeper, my first child, now gets up about every other night and waltzes into our bedroom to cuddle up. I don't think I would mind this too terribly, knowing that it's probably a phase, but I can't sleep a wink when she is next to me. She has to get so close to me that not only can I feel every breath she takes, I swear I can feel her heart pump. Sometimes I try and cherish the moment, knowing she won't always want to be that close to me - but sometimes I'm so tired I want to cry and would give anything to have the old sleep routine back.
Today - after another sleepless night - I'm feeling that sleep is overrated. I'm going to try and enjoy my day, enjoy my children and even try and work out - if I'm not too tired :)

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I fear having another child because of the lack of sleep.